Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Interview

I interviewed Josh Scroggins who is an upper-level RA at UWG. When I asked him the question about what type of sources his professors required from him, he told me that his professors never really required any specific sources too him but did recommend Galileo and other type of searching tools that the library has to offer on their site. I also asked him what types of sites worked for him and what didn't and he stated that Wikipedia(one of the obvious choices) did not work for him because anybody could change whatever was on their and also said that you have to be careful with sites that end with .edu because a lot of them are owned by private places and could be very bias even though it still gives good information. The information could be bias and should check out other sources as-well but the sources he does like and suggest on using are things that are cited by scholarly articles and usually anything by Newly York times. Scroggins also stated   that the way he researched in high school is completely different than now in college. Back in high school he use to use wikipedia and sparknotes but here in college he told me his professors do not play that and his research skills have became better in every way

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like he got some bad info about .edu sites! Only educational sites - colleges & universities - can get the .edu ending, which makes them more credible than .org or .com sites. But, he's right that you should evaluate the information anyway! As a faculty member here, I could create my own website that would include westga.edu in the address, and I could post whatever I wanted there as long as it wouldn't get me in trouble from my boss or be too professionally embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete