Wednesday, January 30, 2013

In class blog post 3

My group and I decided to do our research on Should social media impact your professional life. We based our news story on a article about a 23 year old high school teacher who was found with pictures of her self naked and smoking weed on her twitter account and having a tweet about having weed in car when she was at work. We picked this topic because as the first generation to grow up with social media this would affect us the most. It personally interest me because as someone with a facebook and has previous work experience I wonder if your boss it is okay or wrong  for your boss to look on your facebook and judge you for something you have previously done or said in your own personal life. This subject does goes with my major which is Management Information Systems where you deal with how technology is or can be used for business. Using social media like facebook or twitter to decide if you should have or keep a job falls right into my ally.

5 comments:

  1. I believe that this article would be interesting. Especially since it's about a teacher and how she represent herself on a social media site. I believe it's certain boundaries that you should set once you have entered into a professional field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of the topics my considered by my group, but we went with gun control instead. I think I commented on another member of your groups blog as well. You mentioned about your boss judging you based on something you posted on a social media site, and many companies do look at any social media sited to which you belong. There is a question on whether or not it is ethical and if companies should research social media in respect to an employee or potential employee. There is a lot of information out there about this topic, so you should not have a problem with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this topic is awesome. I know of comapnies that do check your social media sites and do make a judgement upon you based on your past. I, however, do not think this is ethical because I may have done some stupid things, but I am not like that anymore. The group topic and your major go together very well. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an interesting topic just because it's different that what most groups have picked. It is a serious deal because it is very important for teachers to act as role models for students and to act certain ways. For a teacher to be doing illegal things and posting about it on public news media cites is unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had already had a conversation with you about your topic and I was very intereted in it. Being that we are the first generation to live in a technology based society, good research on how this affects our day to day life will make your paper interesting. This also shows how technology and the social media can exposed our private lives to the public.

    ReplyDelete