Saturday, February 23, 2013

Filter bubble

In some ways I do feel like filter bubbles are in some ways a good thing. The most beneficial way is that the internet is basically caters to your likes and most visited sites. If you watch a lot of T.I. videos and listen to his music and that is what you usually do on the internet, then when you search for T.I. it won't give you some random thing that has the same it will give you T.I. the rapper.  If you have sites that you usually go to and it gets deleted off the internet, when you search for it the internet will give you sites that were similar to that one. On the opposite end filter bubbles can be negative for you. If you try to research something with the same name as something that you usually look up then it will give you what you usually look up then what you are currently trying to look up. Filter bubbles can really limit your results for what you are searching for. I believe that some of the ways to get rid of filter bubbles are pretty good, but also not so good such as disabling my cookies because then I can't get on some of my sites that I would usually get on, but telling facebook and google to make it easier to see and manage my filter is a pretty good one and I will probably try that.

1 comment:

  1. You are completely correct. Filter Bubbles does have its pros and cons and could work either way. In a good way or a bad way they can help whom ever.
    However, If you are researching a specific topic and it does delete what you looked for then you will have zero progress in what you are searching. I do not want a site that is similar to what I searched before, I want the site that I was on and that gave me the best credible information.

    ReplyDelete