Wednesday, February 27, 2013

In claas blog post 7

The databases I used were ERIC at Ebsco and ABI/INFORM Complete(ProQuest). ON both of the data bases I searched up the terms social media and employees. In the Ebsco database I found a lot of information  using public schools as an example of employees complaining about how their social media accounts are being looked at by their employers, and how they're being judged by it. Also it shows a little more negative things about the subject than the other site. In ProQuest it talked more about how it can benefit a company and it leaned more towards the big corporation than the other site and it also talked about privacy but used more business office examples. Ebsco gave me options about education, privacy, web sites and computer mediated communication and ProQuest gave me statistical data, management, and industry wide conditions. They also had similarities like both had options of social sciences and privacy. Compared to Ebsco Academic search complete looks pretty much the same. I would use both of these for sources, if I want more of the business side I'll use ProQuest if I want more on the more regular Joe I would use Ebsco, but for my search I need both of these to answer my question precisely.

6 comments:

  1. I do not know very much about either of these data bases, but it seems like you have made some very good points about each of them. Ebsco seems like it leans a little bit more to giving information about the more abstract side of the issue, and ProQuest seems to be a lot more about statistics and hard facts and information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool to me that the two different databases were way opposite on opinions like how one was more negative and one was more positive. That could be a good thing for you though because you can get both sides to your topic and see both sets of opinions first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also used used both of the databases you used. I do like that both of these give positive and opposing arguments on whatever topic you are searching. They both give insight to things you didn't even think to look up, which could be good for you research paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't use the same database as you did, but from reading your post I didn't know anything thing about those databases. You gave some good points about both of them. I think they can be helpful in a certain way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used two totally different research databases than you which were PsychINFO and the Social Science Journal (ProQuest). I like how one of the databases gave you the negative side and the other gave you the positive side. From reading your blog, it seems as if both of these databases will be very helpful to your research paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never used either one of these databases before this assignment, but after using it I would probably lean more towards proQuest. When I used the Eric Ebsco database for my search the results were very narrow. It seemed to to have worked very well for your search.

    ReplyDelete